Friday, April 18, 2008

they say vitamin D cures seasonal depression...


I slept in this morning, a whole two hours longer, and didn't feel guilty at all. I made some coffee, and a few phone calls, threw in a load of whites, and went outside in my pyjamas to eat on my balcony. No jacket. No slippers. Just me and Randy Moss enjoying the sunshine on a Friday morning.

Kate left her book on the table by the door. The Bell Jar, which (I know, I know) I have never actually read myself. I took it out to the balcony with my coffee and my bagel and my laptop, and sat down to read. Without page markers. Without highlighters. Without any of the school-reading accoutrements that I have toted around with me since the leaves turned brown. It dawned on me then that it really is summer now. I can read whatever I want, whenever I want, without interrupting the text with quick blocks of neon.

And I have a very tall stack of books collecting dust in my "when-I-have-some-time" book pile. It is next to my box of socks to organize, my stories to (finally) file, and all of my onesies and jellies that have been waiting so patiently to get out.

Uncle Marty, can we go for a boat ride?

3 comments:

sarah nicole said...

babeface, you do know the bell jar is all about depression, right? put it down now! it's going to undo all the good of today's sunshine.

see you in an hour ok?

Anonymous said...

UPDATE!!!!!!!!

sarah nicole said...

WRITE SOMETHING NEW>