Friday, October 17, 2008

all in the family

Tonight, while we both should have been studying for our respective certifications, in our separate countries, I finally schooled myself on the magic of Skype.

For the longest time, my biggest brother, my kid sister and both of my grandparents have been hounding me to try it out. Tonight, in the ugly face of an approaching deadline, the aforementioned biggest brother finally got me online.

It was oh so good to hear his voice, and even better to see his face, though pixeley and distorted. And half asleep in Chicago.

Somehow, even miles apart, with boarders and years between us, through the static of an online connection, and despite my soft speech so-as-not-to-wake-a-slumbering-roommate, we made contact – and talked about contacts. His kind and mine. Bifocal contacts and source contacts. He's in Optometry, and I'm in, well, Journalism. He'll help people to see, and hopefully, so will I.

After 45 minutes of free, undisturbed catch-up, we both decided that it was high time we quit procrastinating (a treasured pseudo-genetic trait we share) and crack those bindings.

It's so nice to get in touch, even if you're not close enough to touch anyone at all.
An ideal beginning to a dreaded weekend indoors.

1 comment:

Kasandra Bracken said...

Skype's the sole reason I skipped out on my5. There's nothing that can make you feel more connected than a bad connection.