Saturday, October 25, 2008

dress me up, dress me down


Elizabeth Taylor once said, "I adore wearing gems, but not because they are mine -- You can't possess radiance, you can only admire it."

On Thursday night, I myself admired a few radiant gems and jewels. I wore them, and then, sadly, I had to give them back.
Because, unlike Liz, this time both the radiance and the jewels were not mine to possess.

They belonged to Michael Mercanti, designer and creator of Speech Jewellery. Toronto based, and beautifully basic, his thick chained, heavily studded, long hanging ornaments can make even the teeniest girl feel tough. And I'd know. I walked home by myself that night. True story.

Both Mercanti and his pieces were the guests of honour at Strangelove on Thursday, where people packed into the narrow space to preview his product. A few lucky attendees accepted free feathered gifts that Mercanti handmade himself, and that I myself handed out, along with a few other familiar faces.

Hannah Sider, friend and photo-fanatic, managed to snap a few shots of the gang being adorned before the event.

For better photos of the merchandise, more information on the boldest, baddest, bestest bling around town, or to order some for yourself (that you, unlike me, can keep forever and always) you should visit http://www.ssspeech.com/.

Seriously. You should.






2 comments:

Mackenzie Yeates said...

the beautiful people

Richard Pollock said...

This blog dominates the biz